1/1 Photo of Pickled Green Beans With Lemon Verbena and Lime Basil
Preserve summer fresh picked beans, scented with citrus flavored herbs, yes you can sub organic lemon zest for herbs or use both as I did. This recipe is "raw packed" because we don't cook the beans before packing them into the jars. Fresh lemongrass would be a great addition to these. Just slice a piece to fit into each jar. Just give it a whack to release it's oils.
My Private Note
12 ounc ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs fresh green beans (firm, not wilted, soft or overripe,ends trimmed,cut into 1/4 or 1/2 inch pieces) or 2 lbs yellow beans (firm, not wilted, soft or overripe,ends trimmed,cut into 1/4 or 1/2 inch pieces) or 2 lbs purple beans (firm, not wilted, soft or overripe,ends trimmed,cut into 1/4 or 1/2 inch pieces)
- 1 vidalia onion (peeled, halved, cut to match the beans size)
- 2 -3 tablespoons minced fresh lemon verbena
- 2 -3 tablespoons minced fresh lime basil
- lemon zest (4 pieces the size of a nickle) (optional)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup canning salt or 1/4 cup pickling salt
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups white vinegar (5%)
- 4 garlic cloves, more is yummy (peeled)
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1In a pot bring to a boil the vinegar, salt and sugar to dissolve.
- 2Mix the beans and onion together.
- 3Put garlic clove in each jar, distribute herbs and seeds in the bottom of each jar and then the beans and onions. Add optional lemon zest per jar.
- 4Pack the jars fairly tightly, but be sure to leave 1/2 inch of headspace.
- 5Pour the boiling vinegar solution into each packed jar.
- 6Use a ladle or Pyrex measuring cup to carefully fill each packed jar with water from pot of boiling water. Fill to within 1 inch of the top. The beans should be covered and there should still be 1/2 inch of airspace left in the top of each jar.
- 7Put the lids and rings on.
- 8Put the lids on each jar and seal them by putting a ring on and screwing it down snugly (but not with all your might, just "snug").
- 9Using the jar tongs, put the pint jars in the canner and keep them covered with at least 1 inch of water. Keep the water boiling.
- 10Boil them for.
- 115 minutes for 0-1,000 ft.,
- 1210 minutes 1,001-6,000 ft.,
- 1315 minutes above 6,000 ft.
- 14Lift the jars out of the water and let them cool without touching or bumping them in a draft-free place overnight.
- 15Then remove the rings if you like. Once the jars are cool, you can check that they are sealed verifying that the lid has been sucked down. Just press in the center, gently, with your finger. If it pops up and down (often making a popping sound), it is not sealed. If you put the jar in the refrigerator right away, you can still use it.
- 16Give it a weeks time for the seasonings to be absorbed into the pickled beans.
- 17FYI- you can leave the beans whole as long as you leave the 1/2 inch headspace. BUT you will need more jars.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pickled Green Beans With Lemon Verbena and Lime Basil
Serving Size: 1 (86 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 21.4
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1183.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 0.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: