1/3 Photos of Pickled Green Beans (Dilly Beans)
About 20 years ago I knew a very sweet elderly lady who used to make these for us. They were always so spectacular you could never eat just one bean. She wrote the recipe for me on a little note card one day. After finding it about 6 months ago I decided to try to make these again. They taste just as wonderful as they did back then. Everyone I've passed jars of these to have gone nuts over them. I hope you enjoy them as much as we have.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In each canning jar put the dill, garlic and red pepper flakes.
- 2Heat to a boil the water, vinegar and salt. Then set aside.
- 3Wash beans then cook for 15 minutes.
- 4Drain the beans then cut the ends off each bean. Cut each bean into pieces as desired that will fit into the canning jars.
- 5Note: The beans will be very soft at this stage but will later change to a perfect texture with a slight crisp.
- 6Fill each jar with the bean pieces.
- 7Fill each jar with the the liquid mixture.
- 8Seal each jar and boil entire sealed jar for 15 minutes.
- 9ADDITIONAL TIPS:.
- 10We let these sit in storage for 6 weeks before eating them. I'm not sure that is necessary to let them sit that long.
- 11When purchasing the green beans make sure they are fresh not frozen. I always purchase a little more than I need in case I run short at the very end.
- 12I usually end up making more of the liquid mixture as needed until all jars are full.
- 13The dill, garlic and pepper amounts listed are to fill PINT size pickling jars.
- 14Cooking the beans for 15 minutes does soften them initially but the canning process firms them up and they end up being perfect with just the right consistancy. Just trust me on this. I thought the first batch I made would end up being trash and have been surprised every since.
- 15I've been making these beans for years now. I've had cans sit on the shelf for over a year we've recently enjoyed and finished off. That part must be the boiling and sealing process that allows them to remain good for months like that.
- 16Recently I've started double and trippling the garlic pieces inside. The garlic ends up pickling too and is super good to eat right out of the jar.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pickled Green Beans (Dilly Beans)
Serving Size: 1 (108 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 40
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 19.3
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1419.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 0.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: