Prep 45 mins
Cook 12 hrs
Yummy! Why buy it when you can make it. I got this off of a recipe online.
- Peel the ginger root. Cut the ginger into medium-sized pieces and salt it.
- Leave the ginger in a bowl for 30 minute Put the ginger into a jar.
- Mix rice vinegar and sugar in a pan and bring to a boil. Pour the hot mixture of vinegar and sugar on the ginger.
- Cool, then cover with a lid and place in the refrigerator. In a week, the ginger change its color to light pink.
- Slice thinly to serve. The pickled ginger lasts about a month in the fridge.
I made this up since I adore Pickled Ginger, and since getting to the market not that easy, and the cost of a small jar of it is more than the cost of making it yourself. I had two large fingers of ginger and used them both with this recipe, putting the mixture and ginger into a sterilized pint jar. One bit of advise, when cutting the ginger, do NOT cut along the grain of the root, but against the grain, otherwise it is extremely stringy and not able to chew it up. A hard lesson learned with this recipe. One other thing is to get the freshest Ginger Root you can, since I believe mine had been here for a few weeks, and was hotter than hot. I like hot Ginger so it worked okay for me, but others need to be aware. Thank You for an easy and wonderful recipe that I will be doubling next time, and will keep a quart of this available in my Fridge for all my cravings. P.S. I used some of the liquid to mix with some peanut oil and some brown sugar boiled for a bit, to make a wonderful dipping sauce for my fried WonTon. I think it would make a wonderful salad dressing if you add some sesame seeds.
A decent recipe, but this came out a lot more bitter than we like it. I think next time we'll try slicing it thinner before we salt it, and see if that helps.
This is fabulous! I realised I didn't have ginger about an hour before dinner, so finely sliced the ginger from the start, followed all the instructions and then refrigerated it for an hour and served and albeit not pink and not perfect it was superb!