Recipe by Rita~
Is your garden being generous with green beans? Make these to enjoy the summer during the winter months, I used the tricolor bush beans as you see in the photo the purple ones turn green after cooking.
- 2 lbs fresh picked green beans, trimmed and rinsed
- 1 onion, peeled, cut in half and sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup vinegar
- 2 teaspoons pickling salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Ball pickle crisp, granules calcium chloride
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut beans to size you enjoy or keep whole.
- Cook beans in salted boiling water for 3 minutes add onion and cook 2 more minutes.
- Bring to a boil the water, vinegar, salt, sugar, dill and pepper flakes.
- Drain and pack well into sterilized jars I used 2-24 ounce jars.
- Leaving 1/2 inch headspace.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon pickle crisp in each jar.
- Pour the boiling vinegar mixture over beans leaving 1/2 inch headspace.
- wipe rims and place lids.
- Process in water bath 5 minutes, timing after water comes back to a boil.
- Remove from bath and leave sit over night in a draft free spot. Check lids. If not sealed refrigerated.
- Give two weeks for flavors to blend.