My boyfriend loves pickled garlic so did an online search and found this recipe. Just made it yesterday so it's curing in my cold storage for a couple of weeks before we can crack one open!
- Separate bulbs into cloves. To soften and loosen skins blanch the garlic cloves in rapidly boiling water for 30 seconds. Place in ice water, drain and peel the cloves.
- Place 5 clean 250ml mason jars in boiling water or a combo of 250mls and 125ml jars like I did. And place the snap lids in a separate pot to boil five minutes to soften compound.
- In a large pot place vinegar, wine, salt, sugar and oregano. Bring to a boil, boil gently for one minute. Remove from heat add peeled garlic to hot vinegar mixture. Stir for one minute.
- Place one chili pepper in each jar and pack with garlic to withing 2cm of top rim. Add hot liquid to within 1cm of top rim. Using rubber spatula remove air bubbles and wipe rims with damp paper towel. Place snap lid on jar and finger tighten screw band on.
- Place jars in canner. Cover with one inch of boiling water and bring canner to a boil. Once at a full boil process for your altitude. Remove from pot and let sit 24 hours undisturbed. Check after 24 hrs for seal. Refrigerate any unsealed jars.
- Remove screw bands and clean bands and jar necks. Store in a cool dark place.
- For elevations up to 1000ft process 10 minutes, 1001-3000fr process 15 minutes 3001-6000 process 20 minutes and over 6001 process 25 minutes.