Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
This recipe comes from my husbands aunt. We love to fish and some times I get tired of fried fish, so I tried this recipe I found in one of my many cook books. We love it, and its cheaper than the pickled fish in the stores.
- 1 quart of raw fish, cut in bite size piece
- 5⁄8 cup pickling salt (1/2 cup plus half of 1/4 cup)
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white sherry wine (if you don't have sheery wine you can use Bacardi rum)
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup pickling spices, tied in
- 1 -2 large onion, sliced
- Put fish in gallon jar, Add pickling salt and 1 cup white vineger.
- Put into refigerator for five days.
- Shake every day.
- Salt will not dissolve.
- After five days, rinse with cold water, drain and blot dry.
- Mix white suger, wine, 1 cup white vinger and pickling spice in sauce pot, heat just to a boil.
- Take off stove and let cool.
- Add fish and onions to clean gallon jar, then add brine.
- Shake occasionally.
- Fish will be ready to eat in 2 days.
- But the longer it sets the better it is.
- If you want to double this recipe, double everything but the spices.