Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
This recipe was given to me by my mom. She made a lot of it. It's much like pickled herring. My dad was forever bring home deep sea cod and other saltwater fish. I now use any of the more firm white fishes the seafood dept. has on hand.
- 1 lb fish
- 1 cup onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon pickling spices
- 1 cup carrot, cooked & sliced
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Cut fish in 1" long strips.
- In a large jar, alternate layers of fish, onions and carrots until loosley full.
- Combine vinegar, sugar and seasonings in a pan and boil until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour over fish and refrigerate 24 hours before serving.