Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Balsamic glazed soft figs sweetened with sugar and honey enhanced with lemon, vanilla, peppercorns, allspice, juniper berries, rosemary and with meaty walnuts.
- 7 lbs fresh figs
- 2 cups balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup bottled lemon juice
- 3 cups water from the boiled figs
- 1 1⁄2 cups honey
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 vanilla pod cut in half to expose seeds
- 10 peppercorns, crushed and rough chopped
- 3 allspice berries, crushed and rough chopped
- 4 juniper berries, crushed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, broken into half
- meat, and zest strips of 1 lemon discard pith
- 2 cups hulled halved walnuts
- Place figs in a large pot and cover with boiling water for 3 minutes. Cool. Drain all but 3 cups of the water. Combine the 3 cups water, vinegar, sugar, honey, vanilla, peppercorns, allspice berries, juniper, salt, rosemary, lemon meat and zest strips in a large nonreactive pot. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Carefully lower the figs into the simmering syrup. Simmer uncovered for twenty minutes, add the walnuts. Continue simmering for another 10-25 minutes depending on the size of your figs. The liquid should look slightly syrupy and the figs should be a little glossy .
- Arrange figs in jars, dividing the goodness in the syrup evenly between them. With a ladle pour the syrup over the figs leaving 1/2 inch of headroom.
- Close and seal the jars . Process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes.