Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Learned to love this when we lived in Pennsylvania. It's a special treat for my son. From the US Regional Cookbook, Chicago Culinary Arts Institute, 1947
- 473.19 ml small beet (canned beets are fine)
- 59.14 ml sugar (I use granulated, but you can use brown also)
- 118.29 ml vinegar
- 118.29 ml water (I use beet juice for brighter color)
- 2.46 ml salt
- 4.92 ml whole mixed pickling spice
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, peeled
- Cook, drain, and skin beets if not using canned.
- Combine remaining ingredients, except eggs.
- Pour over beets and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Place eggs in a large jar and pour cooled beet mixture over.
- Place in the refrigerator.
- Let pickle at least two days before using.
My favorite thing as a child! I remember my grandmother making these for special occasions. I absolutely loved them then and I still do!
My husband doesn't often cooked but he made these and loved them. He said they were like the ones he had as a child in PA.
My grandmother made these for the holidays, but without the sugar. I love them with the sugar even better! The only thing is I have to make at least 2 dozen!