Recipe by mollypaul
Learned to love this when we lived in Pennsylvania. It's a special treat for my son. From the US Regional Cookbook, Chicago Culinary Arts Institute, 1947
- 1 pint small beet (canned beets are fine)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar (I use granulated, but you can use brown also)
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water (I use beet juice for brighter color)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon whole mixed pickling spice
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, peeled
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook, drain, and skin beets if not using canned.
- Combine remaining ingredients, except eggs.
- Pour over beets and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Place eggs in a large jar and pour cooled beet mixture over.
- Place in the refrigerator.
- Let pickle at least two days before using.