Prep 45 mins
Cook 36 hrs
Posted by request - I believe that this is an English recipe.
- 36 hard-boiled eggs, peeled
- 2 bunches fresh dill, roughly chopped
- 2 jars generic dill pickle spears (or slices)
- 2 large yellow onions, sliced into rings
- 1 large green pepper, sliced into rings
- 2 large sweet red peppers, sliced into rings
- 32 fluid ounces cider vinegar
- 16 fluid ounces beet juice
- 16 fluid ounces bottled water
- 1⁄2 cup whole cloves
- Drain juice from pickle jars into large pan.
- Add cider, water, cloves and dill.
- Bring liquid mixture to full boil; then reduce heat to simmer for 45 minutes to one hour (make sure you will be able to open every window in the house, it's rather fragrant!) Place eggs, vegetable slices and pickle spears into large glass or hard plastic container (large ice cream pail works well).
- Strain liquid mixture through a pasta colander and pour liquid over eggs and vegetables.
- Let sit for 24 to 36 hours at room temperature.
- The eggs will be a very, very bright yellow and have a wonderful dill flavor the whole way through.
- The vegetables and pickles will have a dill flavor never before experienced, and can be eaten separately or used as a complimentary garnish.
my mom had a shorter method that ended up with purple eggs. don't know if it was from the german side of the family, the english side of the family, or shortcuts that resulted from the Depression. I just remember it had something to do with canned beets and hardboiled eggs and the refrigerator....will have to pass this recipe on to her and see what she says. A produce stand in NC had Jalepeno Pickled Eggs available....