Recipe by Pokey in San Antonio, TX
I love pickled eggs. This recipe is as good as any I have ever come across. Serve these up instead of deviled eggs at your next get together--they'll go fast.
- 1 dozen egg (hard boiled, peeled)
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 4 -6 habanero peppers (sliced)
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons pickling spices
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 medium onion (minced)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
Directions See How It's Made
- Eggs: Cover with water and heat to just boiling over medium-high heat. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 10 minute Drain water from eggs. Now take the hot eggs one by one (wear a kitchen mitten, the darned things are hot!), crack them with a spoon or just whack them on the counter and drop them into a pot of cold water. This makes them much easier to peel whole after they cool.
- Place eggs in refrigerator overnight to chill.
- Pickling Mixture: This is the basic mixture, as with BBQ sauce, feel free to improvise: ground mustard, hot sauce, chipotle peppers, curry, red pepper flakes, white pepper, whatever sounds good. Bring the entire mixture to a boil for approximately 10 minute. You can add a couple drops of food coloring if you like--I used red.
- Pour over peeled, chilled eggs, in a large mason jar (big enough to hold the eggs).
- Seal lid and place in fridge. They're good the next day but, even better the next week and anytime there after.