- 6 eggplants, peeled and cut into thick sticks 2 inches long
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white peppercorns
- 1 cinnamon stick (1 inch long)
- 3 1⁄2 cups red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil eggplants and onions in water for 5 minutes, drain, plunge into ice water and drain again.
- Meanwhile place allspice, peppercorns and cinnamon into a spice bag and cook with vinegar, honey and water to boiling.
- Simmer until syrup is thick.
- Add eggplants and onions and heat through.
- Remove bag and pour mixture into clean hot jars.
- Seal and process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes at altitudes up to 1000 feet.