Recipe by Buster's friend
This recipe is for a larger batch than other posted recipes & units of measure worked better for me. Hoping the Baby Bubba dwarf okras are bountiful enough for me to use this recipe from the USDA Complete Guide to Home Canning was created by Utah State University Extension and reviewed by Charlotte Brennand, Extension Food and Nutrition Specialist at Utah State University, July 1995.) http://www.arizonafreepress.com/survival/canning/utah_can_guide_06.pdf
- 7 lbs okra pods (finger sized, no larger)
- 6 hot peppers (small)
- 4 teaspoons dill seeds
- 9 garlic cloves
- 2⁄3 cup pickling salt
- 6 cups water
- 6 cups vinegar (5%)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and trim okra. Fill jars firmly with whole okra, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.
- Place 1 garlic clove in each jar. Combine salt, hot peppers, dill seed, water, and vinegar in large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Pour hot pickling solution over okra, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.
- Adjust lids and process in water bath - 10 minutes for elevations up to 1000 feet, 15 minutes for 1000 to 6000 feet & 20 minutes for elevations > 6000 feet.