Prep 24 hrs
Cook 0 mins
This is an amazing salad! Plan a day in advance, the cucumbers have to marinate in the fridge for 24 hours in salt and vinegar. You can increase or reduce the amount of fresh dill. Use only firm English cucumbers for this, also yellow onions can be substituted for the green. This salad only gets better with refrigeration time. I like to add in some cooked chopped bacon to this, you can add in really anything you like.
- In a bowl combine 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vinegar and 1 tablespoon coarse salt; stir until the salt dissolves.
- Place the sliced cucumbers and 1/2 cup dill in a heavy-duty plastic resealable bag.
- Add in the vinegar/salt mixture and seal the bag tightly, turn the bag to coat the cucumbers with the vinegar mixture.
- Place the bag on top of a bowl in refrigerator overnight.
- After the 24 hours, drain the cucumbers over a sieve; leave to drain well for 1-3 hours; discard the brine.
- Cook potatoes in a large pot of boiling water with salt and 1 tablespoon white vinegar for about 30 minutes or until fork-tender; drain and cool completely.
- Dice the potatoes into about 1-inch cubes and place in a large bowl; season generously with salt and pepper.
- Add in the drained cucumbers, green or yellow onions, radishes and remaining 3 tablespoons dill; toss gently to combine; let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Add in the mayonnaise; mix to combine and season with more salt and pepper if needed to taste.
- Serve cold or room temperature.