- 1 1⁄2 lbs daikon radishes, peeled
- 1 bunch red radish, trimmed and each cut lengthwise into 6 wedges (about 10)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar (not seasoned)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon very thin matchsticks of peeled ginger
Directions See How It's Made
- Halve daikon lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Transfer to a large bowl and toss with radishes and kosher salt. Let stand at room temperature, stirring occasionally, 1 hour.
- Drain in a colander (do not rinse) and return to bowl.
- Add vinegar, sugar, and ginger, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Transfer to an airtight container and chill, covered, shaking once or twice, at least 12 hours more (to allow flavors to develop).
- Can be chilled for up to 3 weeks.