Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
These only stay crunchy for a day or so, then they begin to wilt. When I make them they never last longer than a day anyway.
- 4 cucumbers, with skins and sliced thin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄3 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 red onion, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried dill weed
- Toss the sliced cucumbers with the salt and let them drain for 1 hour.
- Boil the vinegar, sugar and water and allow to cool.
- Drain the cucumbers.
- Place in a bowl and add the onions and dill.
- Pour the vinegar mixture over the cucumbers and mix well.
- Refrigerate for, at least, 1 hour.
I have to ask my mom for this same recipe every summer. We enjoy these with every meal as long as the cucumbers make in our garden. I don\'t soak the cucumbers. I only use 1 teaspoon of salt, any type of onions will do and I use apple cider vinegar. I don\'t boil the vinegar. I just pack a jar, add sugar, salt and dill and pour in the vinegar and water. I will re-use the liquid several times. My husband likes straight vinegar (no water).
Good flavor, red onion with the green skin and white flesh is attractive. One teaspoon of salt would be enough for me. Thank you for the recipe