Found this on a hand written card in Mom's collection. I remember her making these. She loved them but only made them a couple of times because she could never find the right apples. A good sound CRAB apple is what is needed for this It makes an interesting addition to a relish tray. The smell of this on the stove is a reminder of "home" for me. Yes, time consuming but worth it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Make a spiced syrup by heating together the vinegar, water, sugar and the spices loosely tied in a bag. This should be enough syrup for about 5 pints.
- 2Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- 3When cool, add apples and heat slowly, being careful NOT to burst the fruit. (If I remember right bring to just a good "steam").
- 4Remove from heat and allow to stand overnight.
- 5Next morning, remove the spice bag and pack apples without reheating, into clean jars and fill to within 1/2 inch of the top of jar with syrup.
- 6Put on cap, screwing the band tight.
- 7Process in water bath at simmering temperature (180 degrees F) for 20 minutes.
Browse Our Top Apple Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pickled Crabapples
Serving Size: 1 (921 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1499.1
- Calories from Fat 28
- Total Fat 3.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 22.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 378.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 199.7 g
- Protein 3.7 g