Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
I got this recipe from a cooking class I took on "Gourmet Gifts From the Kitchen" at Sur La Table. These small tart pickled apples are excellent served with roast pork or turkey. Beautiful in a basket of homemade gifts. The apples will keep up to 1 year. Once opened, keep them refrigerated.
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 10 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 lbs firm crabapples, stems intact
- Combine the vinegar, sugar, cloves and cinnamon in a large stainless-steelpan. Bring to a boil over high heat and stir until the sugar dissolves, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium, add the apples, and cook until barely done, about 5-6 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, pack the apples into clean, dry jars with sealable lids. Laddle in the hot syrup to within 1/2 inch of the jar rims and cover.
- Store jars in a cool, dark place.