Recipe by Susie in Texas
Choose the smaller, more tender okra pods for pickling. If you don't like the heat, you may leave out the hot peppers.
- 2 lbs fresh okra
- 5 hot red peppers or 5 hot green peppers
- 5 cloves garlic, Peeled
- 1 quart distilled white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 6 tablespoons pickling salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons mustard seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash Okra and pack into clean jars with screw tops.
- Into each jar put 1 red or green hot pepper, 1 clove of garlic, 1/2 teaspoon celery seed and 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed.
- In a saucepan, combine vinegar, water & pickling salt; bring to a boil, then pour over the okra, filling almost to the top but leaving a half inch "headspace".
- Wipe rims of jars with clean cloth then place lids and rings on the jars and seal.
- Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes then remove and allow to cool.
- If you are in an area which is above 1000 feet in elevation, you may need to process longer or you may check with the USDA's guidelines for canning & processing at their website.
- These pickled okra need to set up for 2 months.