1/1 Photo of Pickled Chipotle Asparagus
2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 15 mins
found this recipe in a Sunset Bonus Subcribers booklet and thought I would post it in case I happen to loose it. The Notes states this was submited by Linda Mc Cready of Rancho Cordova, CA
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a 3 to 4 quart pan over high heat, bring 71/4 cups water, distilled vinegar, wine vinegar, salt, and picling spice to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- 2Put water in boiling water canner. It should be 2/3 full if using pint sized jars, 1/2 full for quart jars. Set rack on pan rim, cover pan and, and bring water to a boil over high heat temperature should be 180-185 degrees.
- 3Nest lids in bands, place in a quart pan, cover with water. Set over high heat and bring wter to 180 degrees (do NOT boil) Remove from heat and cover pan.
- 4Rinse all vegetables well. Snap off and discard tough ends of asparagus. In an 8-10 quart pan over high heat, bring 4 quarts water to a boil. Ad half the asparagus and cook until tender-crisp to bite, about 2 minutes. With a slotted spoon transfer to a large bowl of ice water. Repeat to cook remaining asparagus and transfer to ice water. Add half the carrots to pan and cook until tender-crisp to bite, about 3 minutes; transfer to ice water. Repeat with remain carrots. Drain vegetables. Trim Asparagus to 6 inch spears reserving ends.
- 5Place 2 cloves garlic and 1 chile in each jar. Into five jars, equally pack asparagus spears and about 3/4 of carrots vertically without forcing. Pack asparagus trimmings and remaining carrots into remaining jar.
- 6Fill jars with hot vinegar mix to cover vegetables leaving 1/2 inch head space. Wipe jar rims and outer threads with a clean, damp cloth.
- 7With tongs lift bands and seals from hot water. Center on Jars and using a hot pad, screw bands on firmly, but don't force.
- 8Place jars on rack in canner and lower into water. The water should cover jars by at least 1 inch. Cover canner, return water to a boil 180 - 185 degrees and process for 20 minutes.
- 9Remove from canner with tongs, onto counter with towel, tighten bands. Let jars cool completely at room temperature. Remove bands, Wipe jars and lids with clean damp cloth, label jars, store in a cool, dark place for up to 2 years.
- 10Once opened chill, will last opened in refrigerater for up to 2 months.
- 11Yields 5 quarts spears and 1 quart nuggets of asparagus ends.
- 12HINT: Do Not put fingers or dirty utensils into pickles -- always use clean utensil, and pickles will not mold or cloud.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pickled Chipotle Asparagus
Serving Size: 1 (916 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 221.6
- Calories from Fat 14
- Total Fat 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 6020.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.7 g
- Sugars 15.3 g
- Protein 15.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar