Prep 40 mins
Cook 5 mins
Insalata dii rinforzo is a Neopolitan Christmas Salad that is served at the holiday celebration and in the days that follow when it is "reinforced" by the addition of more of the same ingredients or in some cases by the addition of leftover cooked vegetables. It tastes best if allowed to marinate for three days but it will lose some of its vibrant colour from the acid in the vinegar. This recipe is from the December 1993 issue of Gourmet Magazine.
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into 1 inch flowerets
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar (to taste)
- 3 tablespoons fresh oregano, minced
- 8 anchovy fillets, rinsed, patted dry, and cut into thin strips
- 1⁄2 cup black olives, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup capers, drained, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups roasted red peppers, cut into strips
- salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan of salted boiling water cook the cauliflower for 3 to 5 minutes or until it is crisp-tender. Drain it and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking. Pat the cauliflower dry between paper towels.
- Mix together the olive oil, vinegar, oregano and salt and pepper.
- Place cauliflower, anchovies, black olives, capers and roasted red peppers in a large bowl. Pour dressing on top and toss to coat.
- Chill salad, covered for at least three hours.