Top Review by Cats Eye
I made this same recipe about 2 wks. ago out of the Ball Blue Book for canning and just opened a jar today. While the taste was alright the cauliflower was way too soft. I'm going to make it again and just put the cauliflower in the jars with the onions and then pour the hot pickling juice over it. I think between bring it to a boil with the pickling juice and then another 10 min. in a hot water bath is way too much cooking for the cauliflower. I think I also will use a lot more hot peppers or use red pepper flake in each jar, also. I will review this after I make it again!
- 2 large cauliflower heads
- 2 cups white pearl onions
- 1 cup pickling salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons white mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 small hot pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the cauliflowers and break them into flowerettes.
- Scald, cool, and peel the onions.
- Mix the vegetables with the salt, add just enough water to cover, and let stand about 18 hours.
- Drain, rinse in cold water, and drain again.
- Dissolve the sugar in the vinegar, add the seeds and hot pepper and bring to a boil.
- Add the vegetables and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are barely tender.
- Pack the vegetables into hot jars, fill the jars with the boiling-hot liquid and seal.