Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
The pickled carrots are nicely seasoned with an aroma to delight. The Panch Phoron seed mixture consist of •Cumin seeds •Fennel seeds •Nigella seeds •Fenugreek seeds •Mustard seeds Makes great for gift giving or enjoy as a healthy snack.
- 5 cups white distilled vinegar (5% acidity)
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons canning salt
- 7 garlic cloves
- 2 lbs carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 8 teaspoons panch phoron, Bengali Five-Spice (Panch Phoron, Bengali Five-Spice)
- Combine vinegar, water, sugar and salt in a large pot. Bring to boil then gently boil for 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, carrots and onions and simmer till carrots are still crisp about 10 minutes.
- Place 1 teaspoons Panch Phoron, Bengali Five-Spice in the bottom of each clean, hot pint jar.
- Pack carrot mixture into sterilized 8-8 ounce jars. Leaving 1/2 - 1 inch head space. Remove air bubbles. wipe rim and place lids and rings on.
- Place in a hot water bath for 15 minutes 0-1000 ft.
- 20 minutes at1001-6000 ft or above 6000 ft for 25 minutes.
- Remove jars lifting the jars out of the water and let them cool on a wooden cutting board or a towel, without touching or bumping them in a draft-free place. Remove the rings and wipe rims. They do taste great now but wait a couple days and they`ll be so much better.