- 3 -4 fat carrots
- 2 slim daikon radishes
- 1 1⁄2 cups white vinegar (5%)
- 1 1⁄2 cups filtered water
- 3 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons pickling salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 -4 star anise flowers
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons powdered ginger
Directions See How It's Made
- Thinly slice the vegetables on a mandolin and set aside.
- Combine the brine ingredients in a medium sized, non reactive pot. Bring to a boil. Taste (do not inhale over the pot, the vinegar will make you cough) and adjust spices to please your palate.
- Add the sliced vegetables. Stir to combine and remove from the heat.
- Fill prepared jars. Wipe rims and apply lids. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Adjust time according to your altitude.