Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a family recipe, I can't remember a time when they weren't at the table. The longer they marinate the better they are. I suggest adjusting the seasonings or changing them to your taste.
- 12 medium carrots (baby carrots will do)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vinegar (any kind)
- 1⁄2 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon minced onions or 1 tablespoon chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Cut carrots into strips.
- Cook in 1 inch of boiling water with 2 teaspoons salt until crisp-tender (about 10 minutes).
- Drain Well.
- COmbine remaining ingredients.
- Pour over carrots and refrigerate at least 1 hour or over night.
- Serve cold.
My oldest son and I really liked these...the other family members weren't impressed. Although my 14 year old did try them. I love carrots to begin with so that may have helped. Very good.
One of my PAC picks Spring 2007. I didn't find these pickled carrots as pickled as I would have liked them to be. I used a baby Vidalia onion in place of the green onion but that shouldn't have affected the recipe all that much. I found they tasted strongly of olive oil and when I make these again I'll tip the scales on the vinegar side. Thanks, bmxmomto4, this was a good choice for me and I'll be making more of these.
My husband and I loved these. I added extra garlic though which made them very strong. My Mother didn't like them because of that. I guess it depends on how much you like the different strong flavors. Thank you for the recipe.