Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Posting this recipe by request-I've never done it. Let me know how it is please.
- 11 cups sliced carrots
- 6 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 4 teaspoons finely chopped red peppers
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped green peppers
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped jalapenos
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 5 cups white vinegar
- 1 2⁄3 cups white sugar
- 1 2⁄3 cups water
- 4 teaspoons pickling salt
- Combine peppers and garlic and set aside.
- Prepare pickling liquid-combine vinegar, sugar, water and salt.
- Bring to a boil and boil for 5 min.
- Add the carrots, return to a boil and boil for 2 min.
- Prepare 6 pint jars.
- Place 5 t's of pepper mix in each jar plus 1 t.
- each oregano in each jar.
- Pack in carrots and add the liquid leaving 1/2 inch head space.
- Process 10 minutes in a boiling water bath.
Five star plus, taste and eye appeal !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really like the recipe. I did make a few minor changes. Not being able to calculate 11 cups into lbs. I started with two pounds of carrots, peeled and cut to length for pint jars, quartered and found out that I should have prepared six lbs for the six pint yield. I sliced the red and green peppers, one medium each and placed them in the jars vertically. This gave the contents real color. I used three cloves of garlic for each pint and used one medium jalapeno pepper, chopped, placing approximately one sixth in each pint. I added about 12 black peppercorns to each pint. No other variations, the brine is almost like a health drink in it's self. The extra jalapeno is for my fire eating friends, It sure is a great way to fix the carrots, kind of a new twist to a carrot stick. (no pun intended) I think the carrots could be served warm as a main dish or cold as part of a veggie bar. Great posting.
I only used 1/2 tsp. of dried oregano and 1/2 of a garlic clove per pint jar. I didn't process the carrots for 10 minutes either. I usually bring the canner to a boil, add the jars, then turn the burner off. Let jars sit to seal. I never have a problem with pickles spoiling using this method.
Good pickled carrots! I halved the recipe with success. Thanks!