Prep 18 hrs
Cook 25 mins
Pickled Peppers Works for Hungarian, Banana, Other Varieties. I found this on the Clemson Extension site. The little bit of sugar I think will be a good thing. I trust the formula even with the shorted processing time. http://hgic.clemson.edu/hottopics/details/2008/07pickling.htm
- 4 quarts bell peppers (long red, green or yellow)
- 1 1⁄2 cups salt
- 2 tablespoons horseradish (prepared but not creamy)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 10 cups vinegar (5%)
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- Wash and drain peppers. Cut 2 small slits in each pepper. Dissolve salt in 1 gallon water. Pour over peppers and let stand 12 to 18 hours in refrigerator.
- Drain peppers, and discard salt water. Rinse again and drain thoroughly.
- Combine remaining ingredients; simmer 15 minutes. Remove garlic.
- Pack peppers into sterilized hot jars, leaving ½-inch headspace.
- Bring liquid to a boil. Fill jars to ½ inch from top with boiling liquid.
- Remove air bubbles.
- Wipe jar rims.
- Adjust lids.
- Process 10 minutes in a boiling water bath canner.