- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups thinly sliced freshly cooked beets (or use canned beets)
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a stainless-steel or enameled 1 1/2 to 2 quart saucepan, combine the vinegar, water, sugar, salt and pepper, bring to a boil and boil briskly for 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the sliced beets in a deep glass, stainless-steel or enamel bowl.
- Pour the hot marinade over the beets and let them cool uncovered to room temperature.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 12 hours, stirring every few hours to keep the slices moist.