Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
This recipe is from recipesource.com.
Make and share this Pickled Beets & Onions recipe from Food.com.
- Cut off all but 2-inches of the beet tops, leave the root ends attached.
- Peel and slice the onions into 1/4-slices. Heat enough water to cover beets to boiling.
- Add beets and 2 t vinegar for each quart of water used. Cover and heat to boiling. Cook until beets are tender, 35 to 45 minutes; drain.
- Run cold water over beets, slip off skins and remove the root ends. Cut beets into 1/4-inch slices.
- Heat remaining ingredients to boiling in a 6-quart Dutch oven, reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered 10 minutes, stir in beets.
- Pack beets and onions in hot jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Heat syrup to boiling. Pour over beets and onions, leaving about 1/2-inch headspace; seal.
- Process 30 minutes in boiling water bath. Makes about 8 Pints.
- NOTE: 7 cans (16 ounces each) sliced beets, drained, can be substituted for the beets in the above recipe.