1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This recipe is from recipesource.com.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut off all but 2-inches of the beet tops, leave the root ends attached.
- 2Peel and slice the onions into 1/4-slices. Heat enough water to cover beets to boiling.
- 3Add beets and 2 t vinegar for each quart of water used. Cover and heat to boiling. Cook until beets are tender, 35 to 45 minutes; drain.
- 4Run cold water over beets, slip off skins and remove the root ends. Cut beets into 1/4-inch slices.
- 5Heat remaining ingredients to boiling in a 6-quart Dutch oven, reduce heat.
- 6Simmer, uncovered 10 minutes, stir in beets.
- 7Pack beets and onions in hot jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Heat syrup to boiling. Pour over beets and onions, leaving about 1/2-inch headspace; seal.
- 8Process 30 minutes in boiling water bath. Makes about 8 Pints.
- 9NOTE: 7 cans (16 ounces each) sliced beets, drained, can be substituted for the beets in the above recipe.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pickled Beets & Onions
Serving Size: 1 (5800 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 486.5
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 897.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 114.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.5 g
- Sugars 99.3 g
- Protein 7.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole mixed pickling spices