Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
A great Polish side dish for all you beet lovers.Serve over greens for a nice salad or all alone. Check out my polish Potato and Beet Salad Potato and Beet Salad which has beets in it. We serve the potato salad for Easter.
- 3 cups sliced cooked fresh beets or 3 cups canned beets
- 1 large onion, sliced into thin rings
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh horseradish or 4 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 8 whole cloves or 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 2 cups vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Layer beets and onions in a glass or earthenware bowl, sprinkling layers with horseradish and cloves.
- Boil vinegar with sugar and salt 2 minutes.
- Pour over the beets.
- Cover; refrigerate 24 hours.
Wish I could give this recipe more than five stars! I used to run when my mom had beets but these are wonderful. I did use 2 cans of beets but 3 would have been better. The horseradish was prepared and I used caraway seeds instead of cloves. Perfect sweet and sour flavor, will be making these again! Thank you Rita for a great recipe. Made and reviewed for ZWT 4.
In 26 years, we didn't know that both LL and DH love pickled beets! This is a fancier variety than we're used to thinking of, and it's delicious. Loved the touch of caraway! Snuck under the wire for ZWT4!
My husband's exact words, "these are the best pickled beets I've ever had." I used 3 large fresh beets (boiled until soft) with 3/4 of a large yellow onion. I didn't have any horseradish, and used a couple of shakes of ground cloves instead. I doubled the sugar per another reviewer's recommendation, and used half white vinegar, half apple cider vinegar. Thanks for sharing -- this is going to be my pickled beet recipe from now on!