Recipe by ~Paula~
This is a recipe that has been passed down in my family from my great-grandmother, to my grandmother, to my mom, and now to me! I am so glad to have this family favorite! I have now become the designated "pickled beets" preparer in our family!
Top Review by Ed & Cheryl
Made these last night..very easy!!
I also used the brine to do purple and orange carrots. I just added a strip of orange rind to each jar for the carrots.
Posted a picture too. (large jar is beets and two small are the carrots.)
I also used Spenda in place of the sugar.
Thank you so much!!!
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil beets in enough fresh water to cover, until tender.
- Allow beets to cool enough to handle, then remove skins (they should slip right off).
- If beets are small, leave whole, otherwise quarter or half as desired.
- Place beets in clean pint jars.
- Boil brine ingredients and pour over beets in pint jars to within 1/2 inch of rim.
- Wipe rims to remove any spills.
- Add lids and rings.
- Process 10 minutes in a hot water canner.
- If any jars do not seal when checked after 24 hours, put in refrigerator and use.
- You may also re-process these.