Recipe by Satisfied Kris
Old family recipe. You just can't eat store bought canned beets after tasting these. May also can this recipe, but multiply ingredients. It's not worth canning just one jar. :) Estimated prep time includes cleaning, skinning and cutting.
Top Review by cellocath85
Mmmmm.... These might be the best beets I've ever had let alone made. They're a great balance of tart and sweet. I like that they're on the savory side. Let's face it, the amount of sugar that most recipes call for is really unhealthy. You don't need it when beets can be this good without it. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. I'm making a second batch as we speak.
- 2 lbs beets, greens removed (couple inches of greens left on)
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup beet juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 peppercorns
- 1⁄4 bay leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the dirt off the beets.
- In a covered pan cook whole beets in boiling salted water until tender (35-50 minutes).
- Cool slightly, cut off remaining greens and slip off skins.
- Save 1/2 cup of the beet juice (water beets were cooked in).
- Cut up beets the way you want them.
- Put in a clean, empty jar.
- In a small pan bring the beet juice and the remaining ingredients to a boil.
- Pour the hot liquid mixture over the beets.
- Let come to room temperature and then chill.