Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
My own home recipe--yummy.
- 16 cups beets, small
- 3 cups vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons whole allspice
- 2 inches piece cinnamon sticks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cook the beets until just tender.
- Slip off skins.
- Combine vinegar, water, sugar, spices and salt.
- Bring to a boil and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add the beets and simmer 5 minutes longer.
- Pack the beets into hot sterilized jars.
- Bring the syrup to a boil, then pour over beets.
- If not enough to cover add hot vinegar.
- Seal immediately.
- Allow to *pickle for 3 weeks before testing*.
Hi Lorrie: This is the only way that DH will eat beets. I have been making beets this way for a long time. You and FT are right, the spice does add nice depth. I make it in small batches of about 2 cups at a time. They keep about 2-3 weeks There are only 2 of us in a small apt. No extra space. But this is so easy. I pressure cook the beets for about 10 mins, let cool and slip off the skins. I have a crinkle cutter but never thought to use it FT. Great idea. Thanks Judy in WA
Now and then you come across a recipe where 5 stars is not enough - this one of them! We ALL loved these for two very simple reasons; the spices REALLY add a depth and delightful flavour to what can sometimes be very mundane and vinegary beetroot, and we liked the sweetness of these as well - again NOT to vinegary! I am going to make more of these for Christmas - I have a spiced Beetroot recipe too, and I plan to make two types this year for our Christmas Buffet Table! I used a crinkle "chip" cutter for the beetroot - and I don't know what you think Lorrie - but I think that the slices look so pretty done that way?? I made a quarter of the recipe as I had lots of tagged recipe commitments - MISTAKE! But - as I said - more will be made soon! Thanks for sharing your Mum's recipe with us - that makes me feel so happy that her recipe still lives on! FT:-)