Recipe by Lorrie in Montreal
My own home recipe--yummy.
Top Review by godbreathed01
Hi Lorrie: This is the only way that DH will eat beets. I have been making beets this way for a long time. You and FT are right, the spice does add nice depth. I make it in small batches of about 2 cups at a time. They keep about 2-3 weeks There are only 2 of us in a small apt. No extra space. But this is so easy. I pressure cook the beets for about 10 mins, let cool and slip off the skins. I have a crinkle cutter but never thought to use it FT. Great idea. Thanks Judy in WA
- 16 cups beets, small
- 3 cups vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons whole allspice
- 2 inches piece cinnamon sticks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the beets until just tender.
- Slip off skins.
- Combine vinegar, water, sugar, spices and salt.
- Bring to a boil and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add the beets and simmer 5 minutes longer.
- Pack the beets into hot sterilized jars.
- Bring the syrup to a boil, then pour over beets.
- If not enough to cover add hot vinegar.
- Seal immediately.
- Allow to *pickle for 3 weeks before testing*.