Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Adapted from the pickled beets recipe served at Hampton's in Daytona Beach, Florida. Simple, inexpensive, and quick to make. Should be made the day before serving. Prep time does not include chilling.
- 1 (16 ounce) cancrinkle-cut canned beets (straight-cut beets may be substituted, but the crinkle type absorbs the flavor better)
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 onion, thinly sliced (optional)
- Drain juice from the canned beets into a saucepan and set beets aside. Add sugar and vinegar to juice and bring to a boil. Add the beets and bring to a boil again (be careful not to overcook the beets, as they will flake.) Remove from heat; add onions, if desired, now.
- Let sit at room temperature, about 2 hours, to cool down before chilling. Chill 8 hours or overnight.