Pickled beets are considered one of the "7 sours" that are frequently referred to in Eastern European countries. Do you know the others? Sauerkraut, garlic dill pickles, pickled herring, pickled plums, horseradish and marinated cukes. Posted for the Zaar World Tour 2005 Eastern Europe. These need to set for 24 hours before eating.
- In a 2 qt non reactive saucepan, combine all ingredient but the beets.
- Bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and let cool while beets cook.
- Place beets ina large saucepan.
- Cover with cold water and bring to a boil.
- Cook at a slow boil until theya re tender, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- When cool enough to handle, slice thin.
- Discard bay leaf from marinade.
- Combine beets and marinade and pour into clean jars.
- Cap and refrigerate for 24 hours to let the flavors meld.
- Will keep indefinitely refirgerated.