Recipe by LAURIE
Pickled beets are considered one of the "7 sours" that are frequently referred to in Eastern European countries. Do you know the others? Sauerkraut, garlic dill pickles, pickled herring, pickled plums, horseradish and marinated cukes. Posted for the Zaar World Tour 2005 Eastern Europe. These need to set for 24 hours before eating.
Top Review by Tx2Step
These have a wonderful, subtly aromatic flavor from the spices and just a hint of sweetness. The best I have ever had. I needed to double the brine to have enough to cover, though.
- 2 lbs uncooked beets, peeled
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 allspice berries
- 4 black peppercorns
- 1 whole clove
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- In a 2 qt non reactive saucepan, combine all ingredient but the beets.
- Bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and let cool while beets cook.
- Place beets ina large saucepan.
- Cover with cold water and bring to a boil.
- Cook at a slow boil until theya re tender, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- When cool enough to handle, slice thin.
- Discard bay leaf from marinade.
- Combine beets and marinade and pour into clean jars.
- Cap and refrigerate for 24 hours to let the flavors meld.
- Will keep indefinitely refirgerated.