Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
These turned out great, and their very simple to do. Great for the gardener!
- 6 medium beets, uncooked
- cold water, to cover beets
- 1 1⁄2 cups wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 teaspoons dill seeds
- Cover whole beets with water and boil until tender.
- Drain, reserving 1 1/4 cups of liquid.
- When beets are cool, slice off tops and bottoms.
- Then, using your fingers, slip off skins.
- Slice Beets.
- Bring vinegar and reserved cooking liquid to a boil.
- Add mustard, salt and sugar.
- Stir and bring to boil again.
- Remove and set aside.
- Arrange beet slices and onions in layers in clean, screw-top jars.
- Add dill seeds.
- Cover with hot vinegar mixture.
- Tightly screw on tops.
- Process 30 minutes in boiling water batch.
- Cool and allow to set several days in refrigerator before serving.
I made the recipe to use 3 medium beets. I didn't use the salt. I got 2 jars. They are so yummy. Thanks crazycookinmama :) Made for Bargain Basement tag game