Turn an ordinary vegetable into a lovely salad! If you like pickled beets, you'll love this unusual gelatine salad. It is a beautiful burgundy color with a nice crunch from the onions and celery.
My Private Note
8x8 inc ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon distilled vinegar (white or clear)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream-style prepared horseradish
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery
- 1/4 cup finely diced onion
- 1 (16 ounce) can sliced beets, drained,liquid reserved
- 2 -3 teaspoons mayonnaise
- 1Grease an 8x8-inch glass casserole or a 1 1/2 quart mold.
- 2Cut the sliced beet into julienne strips.
- 3In saucepan, add gelatine, sugar and 1/2 cup water.
- 4Heat on medium setting, stirring constantly, until gelatine is dissolved.
- 5Set aside.
- 6Add enough water to beet juice to make 1 cup.
- 7Pour into saucepan.
- 8Add lemon juice, vinegar and horseradish to gelatine mixture.
- 9Refrigerate until mixture is partially thickened.
- 10Stir in celery, spring onions, and beets.
- 11Refrigerate until congealed and well set.
- 12TO SERVE: Cut into squares and place on bed of lettuce.
- 13Garnish with 1/2 tsp mayonnaise on top of each square.
- 14SUBSTITUTIONS: Replace celery with 1/2 cup grated carrots.
Browse Our Top Gelatin Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pickled Beet Salad
Serving Size: 1 (123 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 121.1
- Calories from Fat 9
- Total Fat 1.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.6 mg
- Sodium 125.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 22.5 g
- Protein 3.6 g