Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Turn an ordinary vegetable into a lovely salad! If you like pickled beets, you'll love this unusual gelatine salad. It is a beautiful burgundy color with a nice crunch from the onions and celery.
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon distilled vinegar (white or clear)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cream-style prepared horseradish
- 1⁄2 cup finely diced celery
- 1⁄4 cup finely diced onion
- 1 (16 ounce) cansliced beets, drained,liquid reserved
- 2 -3 teaspoons mayonnaise
- Grease an 8x8-inch glass casserole or a 1 1/2 quart mold.
- Cut the sliced beet into julienne strips.
- In saucepan, add gelatine, sugar and 1/2 cup water.
- Heat on medium setting, stirring constantly, until gelatine is dissolved.
- Set aside.
- Add enough water to beet juice to make 1 cup.
- Pour into saucepan.
- Add lemon juice, vinegar and horseradish to gelatine mixture.
- Refrigerate until mixture is partially thickened.
- Stir in celery, spring onions, and beets.
- Refrigerate until congealed and well set.
- TO SERVE: Cut into squares and place on bed of lettuce.
- Garnish with 1/2 tsp mayonnaise on top of each square.
- SUBSTITUTIONS: Replace celery with 1/2 cup grated carrots.