Recipe by dicentra
From 1001 Low Fat Recipes. I would use sweet onions and add them to the marinade.
- 1 (15 ounce) cansliced beets (do not drain)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 whole clove
- 1 -2 teaspoon sugar
- shredded lettuce
- 1⁄2 small onion, sliced into rings
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain beet juice into a small skillet.
- Add vinegar, bay leaf, clove and sugar. Heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer 1 minute. Cool.
- Pour cooled juice over beets and allow to marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
- Lift beets with a slotted spoon from the juice and serve on a bed of shredded lettuce.
- Garnish with onion rings.