Recipe by Dib's
You can add jalapenos to this recipe to make it hotter.
Top Review by Rick Hartman
I am looking for a recipe for pickled banana peppers, and found this one. What I am having a problem with is the horseradish that this recipe calls for. I have never heard of horseradish in a pickleing recipe. I haven't made this recipe yet and I think I will pass this one up and find another one. But Thank you just the same.
- 4 quarts banana peppers
- 1 1⁄2 cups pickling salt
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 2 cloves garlic
- 10 cups white vinegar (5% acidity)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash peppers-cut two slits into each pepper and place in a large glass container.
- Dissolve salt in 16 cups water and pour over peppers and then let stand 12-18 hours in a cool place.
- Drain peppers, rinse and drain again.
- In a large stainless or enamel pot combine 2 cups water with the vinegar, sugar, horseradish and garlic.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and boil gently, uncovered for 15 minutes.
- At this point every window in your house should be open.
- Remove garlic cloves.
- Pack peppers snugly into a hot jar to within 3/4 inch of top rim.
- Add boiling vinegar mixture to cover peppers leaving 1/2 inch head space.
- Seal and process 15 min in a boiling water bath.
- Cool for 24 hours and check seals.