Prep 2 hrs
Cook 0 mins
- 30 asparagus spears
- 1⁄3 cup coarse salt
- 3 1⁄2 cups cold water
- 1⁄2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dill seeds
- 1 white onion, sliced into rings
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
- 2 sprigs fresh dill
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the vinegar, salt, garlic, mustard seed, dill seed and onion rings. Bring to a boil, and boil for 15 minute.
- Pack the asparagus spears, tips up, in the hot jars leaving 1/2 of space from the rim. Tuck one dill sprig into each jar, and sprinkle in 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes. Pour hot pickling liquid into the jars, filling to within 1/4 inch of the rim. Wipe rims with a clean damp cloth, and seal with lids. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature. Check seals when cool by pressing the center of the lid. It should not move. Label and date; store in a cool dark place. If any jars have not sealed properly, refrigerate and eat within two weeks.