Prep 10 mins
Cook 72 hrs
New Orleans original red beans and rice meat ingredient. I can't eat beans with out it! Sometimes I totally leave out the sausage and put in extra pickle meat! Cook time includes refrigeration time.
- 1⁄2 cup mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce (I use Louisiana hot sauce or tabasco)
- 1 quart white vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 12 peppercorns
- 6 -10 cloves garlic (depending on taste)
- 2 lbs boneless pork butt
- Combine everything except pork butt in a sauce pan and boil for 5 minutes.
- Allow to cool.
- While seasoning is cooling, cut pork butt into 2 inch pieces.
- Combine pork butt and seasoning mixture in a container with a tight fitting cover.
- Stir to remove bubbles.
- Cover and refrigerate for 3 days.
- Use when making red beans and rice (just throw a cup or two in with the beans while they cook).
Delicious! We love anything pickled, and this pork was yummy by itself or over rice. I took some, chopped it up, added Carolina BBQ sauce and made sandwiches. It was great! Kari, thanks for a very good recipe I'll be making often.
Such a unique and creative dish!! I can hardly wait to add pickled meat to all my home cooked meals. The strong taste of vinegar is what sets this one off for me! I just cant get enough of it!