Recipe by HeatherFeather
This recipe comes from Bavaria in Southern Germany. The Pickelsteinerfest is held the last weekend in June. Adapted from Germany's Regional Recipes by Helga Hughes. Posted by request.
Top Review by Derf
Wow, was this good!!! I made it for an employee luncheon at work, an Octoberfest luncheon, it got rave reviews!! I doubled the recipe and added twice as much stock to turn it into a soup,(a very hearty soup!) The taste was fantastic and I had a dozen requests for the recipe. The double recipe, with added stock served 32 people. I will definately be makeing this at home, in smaller quantities of course, it will be wonderful to have in the freezer for cold winter nights. Thanks for sharing HeatherFeather!!
- 4 tablespoons oil, divided
- 1⁄2 lb boneless beef cube, in 1 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 lb boneless veal, in 1 inch cubes
- 1 lb boneless pork, in 1 inch cubes
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 2 cups carrots, peeled,in 1 inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups green cabbage, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup fresh green beans, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup celery root or 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup parsnip, scraped and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup leek, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup frozen green pea, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb potato, peeled,cubed
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat no more than 2 Tbsp of the oil in a large, deep skillet on high heat.
- Brown each type of meat in small batches, browning them on all sides but be careful not to burn them.
- Add additional oil as needed with each batch- you may not need it all.
- Transfer browned meat chunks to a bowl using a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Remove any remaining meat residue from the skillet (including the oil), then pour in 2 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Let water boil a few seconds, then stir in the boullion cube until dissolved and set aside.
- Place all the veggies except the potatoes into a huge mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle with about 1/2 tsp of salt and some black pepper, to taste, mixing well.
- In a huge stockpot, add 1/3 of the meat chunks, then 1/3 of the mixed veggies, repeating these layers until all the meat& mixed veggies are in the pot.
- Next, Place all of the potatoes on top and season to taste with some more salt and pepper.
- Pour in the reserve liquid from the skillet.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to the lowest setting, cover and simmer undisturbed (no stirring) for 1 1/2 hours or until meat is cooked and tender and veggies are done to your liking.