Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Three distinct strawberry layers.
Make and share this Pick-Your-Own Triple-Strawberry Cream Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 1 large store-bought graham cracker crust
- 1 1⁄2 quarts fresh strawberries, hulled
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups cold heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- Prebake crust according to the package directions and letting it cool; refrigerate until ready to use.
- Halve half of the strawberries and put them in a big bowl.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon of the sugar and the lemon zest, then set aside for 10 minutes to juice.
- Using a large fork or potato masher, crush the juiced berries just enough to make a coarse puree; transfer mixture to a medium saucepan.
- In a small bowl, mix the remaining sugar with the cornstarch; stir this mixture into the puree and gradually bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture gently boils, thickens, and becomes translucent, about 1 minute after it starts to sputter.
- Scrape the sauce into a bowl and let cool thoroughly.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold.
- Using a chilled medium-size bowl and chilled beaters, whip the cream using an electric mixer until it begins to thicken and hold soft peaks.
- Add in the powdered sugar and continue to beat until stiff but not grainy; fold in ½ cup of the strawberry sauce.
- To assemble the pie: shortly before serving spread the remaining strawberry sauce over the bottom of the chilled pie shell.
- Halve the remaining strawberries (or quarter them if they are large) and arrange the berry pieces in a tight layer on top of the sauce.
- If you run out of room, chop the remaining berries and strew them over the larger pieces.
- Spoon the strawberry whipped cream on top and smooth with the spoon.
- Serve immediately or put the pie in the freezer for up to 10 minutes (no longer) and serve as soon as possible.