Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a twist from the other upside down cakes. This recipe is simple and tasty. Goes well with a dollop of whip cream.
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 (14 ounce) bag frozen mixed berries or 1 (14 ounce) bag blueberries or 1 (14 ounce) bag raspberries or 1 (14 ounce) bag blackberries or 1 (14 ounce) bag strawberries, well thawed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup margarine
- Combine the cake ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Then set aside.
- Add Butter to a 9x9 or 10 inch baking pan.
- Put butter in a preheated 350 degree oven to melt for about 2 minutes or so.
- Then sprinkle 1/2 cup of sugar over the butter that has been melted.
- Spoon the thawed and drained berries over the butter and sugar evenly.
- Pour cake mixture evenly over berries.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- After cake is done, place cake plate on top of baking pan and flip.
- Let stand for a couple of minutes.
- Then open mouth and insert cake.
I haven't tried this yet but look forward to it - it seems perfect! quick question though... can I use a box cake mix instead? I'm thinking about the amount of time I'd have and ... a box mix would cut out about 20 minutes if it'd work....<br/>Thanks!<br/>Sheila
The cake came out beautifully. For my taste, it was a bit sweet, so next time I would cut back on the sugar. Would definitely serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Thanks!
WOW! Sweet:) Mixed berries is best for this cake, comes out more like a cobbler. After draining fruit it still made alot of syrup when baked. Try flipping onto a wide light colored serving dish as to catch all of the liquid at the bottom and make a better presentation. Needed a pinch more vanilla than called for I thought. Great for a brunch!! LUV IT!! BRAVO!! Will use again and again. Thanks. ~Judy, PA **Will post picture of the one I made soon. I served on a black plate and wished I'd used a white one.**