Recipe by Boyz 5
Fresh out of the oven, cobbler-style shortcakes, split to accommodate your choice of stewed fruit. A yummy way to use up the frozen supply of raspberries, apricots, blueberries or peaches of last year. Mmm.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup cream
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 lbs frozen fruit
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in a little bit water (to thicken juices)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar and baking powder.
- Measure milk and cream in a glass measuring cup.
- Whisk in egg and vanilla.
- Make a well in center of dry ingredients.
- Add milk/egg mixture and combine together with a fork in a few quick strokes; mixture should be sticky.
- Drop batter by spoonfuls onto grease baking sheet to make 8 shortcakes. Bake at 325°F for about 15-17 minutes.
- Let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes before splitting them.
- Stewed fruit:.
- Gently cook your choice frozen fruit with sugar and cornstarch/water mixture over medium heat until thickened.
- To serve:.
- Split each shortcake horizontally and place the bottoms in dessert dishes.
- Spoon warm stewed fruit over, then top with second halves.
- Serve with whipped or ice cream.