Recipe by ellie_
This is a wonderful meat stew using only beef or -- even better half beef and half pork, along with veggies. Posted for ZWT 6/Germany. It's better is reheated the next day, but we also had it the day I made it and froze leftovers for lunches/dinners. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (November 1981)
Top Review by Dienia B.
ok i used beef and celery stalks cause no celery root is a really good variation on pot roast 1 also froze part of this varies the rotation i cooked meat awhile before i added veggies i swear the meat is tough now days lol zaar tour 6
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef rump, cut into 1 inch cubes and patted dry (or 3/4 pound beef rump and 3/4 pound pork shoulder)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon celery root, chopped
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄3 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 cup green beans, trimmed and broken into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chives, snipped (garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large dutch oven over high heat melt butter with the oil and then add meat in batches and brown on all sides. Remove meat with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and add next 3 ingredients (onion - celery) and cook stirring for 5 minutes.
- Stir in beef broth and next 4 ingredients (tomato - pepper) and return meat to the pot.
- Cover with layers of the vegetables (potatoes - green beans). Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 1 hour or until meat is tender.
- Garnish with chives.