Recipe by Iluv2cook59
A lovely "sauce" to put on pork sammies! Got this recipe from "foody" on the net! Tried and tested and delicious.
- 2 2⁄3 kg vegetables (Cauliflower Sprigs, Baby Onions, Cucumber or Gherkin, Baby Green Tomatoes, Runner beans, etc)
- 1 1⁄4 liters white vinegar (2 pints)
- 450 g salt
- 40 g cornflour or 40 g plain flour
- 160 g sugar
- 25 g dry mustard
- 25 g ground ginger
- 15 g turmeric
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean and prepare the vegetables.
- Spread the vegetables over a large dish and sprinkle with the salt.
- Place a plate on top of the vegetables and weigh it down, leave in a cool place for 24 hours.
- Drain, wash and rinse the vegetables.
- Place most of the vinegar, the sugar and spices into a large saucepan, heat gently until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the vegetables and simmer gently until the required texture is attained, the vegetables should be crispy and not overcooked.
- (The level of crispiness depends on personal choice, the vegetables will soften further after pickling).
- Mix the flour with the remaining vinegar and add to the saucepan.
- Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 2 - 3 minutes to cook the flour.
- Pot and seal.
- Leave for 6 - 8 weeks to allow the flavour to mature.