Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 quart green tomato, Chopped
- 2 medium red peppers (Peppers should be seeded and chopped.)
- 2 medium green peppers (Peppers should be seeded and chopped.)
- 2 large onions, Peeled & Chopped
- 1 small heads of cabbage or 2 cups cucumbers, Chopped
- 1⁄2 cup salt
- 3 cups cider vinegar
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick (3-inches long)
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- Combine all the vegetables and the salt and let stand overnight.
- In the morning, drain the vegetables pressing out the juice.
- Add the vinegar, sugar and the spices, tied in a bag; bring to a boil and simmer until the vegetables are clear and the syrup is thickened.
- Discard the spice bag and seall the picalilli in hot jars.
- One tablespoon each peppercorns and celery seeds may be substituted for the cinnamon.