Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
Posted in response to a recipe request. From the US Regional Cookbook, Chicago Culinary Arts Institute, 1947. While this recipe is written in an old-fashioned way, it is perfectly safe if processed using modern methods. If you are unfamiliar with these techniques, please go to http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_home.html for the current information.
- 2⁄3 cup salt
- 32 quarts green tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup grated horseradish
- 2 tablespoons ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons allspice
- 2 tablespoons dried mustard
- 4 tablespoons pepper
- 2 cups brown sugar
- Sprinkle salt over the chopped tomatoes and let stand overnight.
- Drain in colander.
- Add horseradish, spices and sugar and enough vinegar to cover.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes.
- Fill sterilized jars and seal.